Set business goals- and ask the team how they can help.
We already know this, but…
Most business leaders know it’s important to set goals, and we feel like goal-setting gurus when we set ‘SMART’ ones. The popular SMART system transforms vague statements like “I want to finish this project” into a specific, actionable roadmap that leads to achievement.
Yet, each year, business goals that were set with the best intentions, using templates and tried-and-true methods, don’t get met. It happens (or rather, it doesn’t) and that’s not negative talk… it’s reality.
System and Strategy
Want to increase your chances of success in 2018? Here’s what we suggest:
- If you’re setting goals, use a system. Write them down and then break them down. Identify reasons why each goal is important. Be specific, realistic, and have a way to track and measure progress. The SMART system is wildly popular for a reason.
- Goals require strategy- and everyone in your organization is part of the strategy. Often, business leaders forget to tell people what the goals are – or they’re only revealed to a senior team, with trickle-down expectations. And, at that point, your carefully crafted goals become passive.
Want an even better idea than telling people? Ask people. How can everyone in our organization be part of the strategy? Ask for ideas and give credit and ownership to team members who have great ones – and then promote ideas that will make business goals a reality. Remember, everything in your organization is connected. If your goal is to increase sales by improving customer experience, it might mean that you implement a new customer relationship management system, revamp the content on your website, provide better employee training, ask customers to participate in feedback surveys, and give an incentive to front-line employees who consistently get rave customer reviews. It’s a multifaceted approach; all of it is part of the strategy; and everyone’s involved – development through carry-out.
Make IT Easy
Software makes life easier. These apps will help you build a goal-setting system with your team. Collaborate and stay on track, from anywhere in the world.
- Asana is an intuitive app that lets your team track a variety of projects from start to finish. Responsibilities and next steps are clear, everyone knows what to do & what’s on the horizon, so you can shoot for the moon together—and get there.
- Smartsheet is designed to unleash the benefits of greater work agility and collaboration by providing a powerful platform for organizations to plan, track, automate, and report on work.
- Goals on Track is goal setting and goal management software for high achievers (that’s you.) It’s a great option for solo or personal use. It allows you to track all different types of goals- personal, professional, & educational, to name a few. There’s a built-in goal dashboard, SMART goal templates, task management and sub-goal tracking, plus creative features like a journal and mood board.